Our History

Scroll Down to See Our History Timeline


On November 8, 1940, at 2:30 p.m. the first service of the Poland Center Community Church was held at the "Little Red Schoolhouse" at the corner of Struthers Road and Route 224.



In September 1952, construction on a new church building began at 6248 Struthers Road. The men and ladies of the congregation did all the work and completed construction for approximately $8,000. 


The first service at 6248 Struthers Road was held on Christmas Eve, 1956.

A close up of a decorated Christmas tree in front a fireplace with Christmas lights and a stocking.
old paper and fountain pen


The name of the church was officially changed to Gospel Baptist Church.

1984 to Present

In 1984, the church opened Gospel Baptist Christian School at the Struthers Road location. Concurrently, the church purchased 10-acres on Clingan Road to house the school and eventually a new auditorium.   

Land was cleared and work on the first building began.  Meanwhile, the Struthers Road building was sold and the new Clingan Road building was occupied in May, 1985.

Early in 1987, construction began on a new auditorium. It was dedicated in November of that  year - exactly 30 years after the Struthers Road building was dedicated. To this day, we continue to be blessed by this beautiful and spacious facility.